Hiring: MTM Marketing Intern
About Master of Translational Medicine:
The MTM program is a cross-campus collaboration between the Department of Bioengineering at UC Berkeley and the Department of Bioengineering and Therapeutic Sciences at UCSF. Students are enrolled in both universities, and draw on the range of expertise and technological resources available at the two institutions.
We seek students with interest/passion in digital marketing and storytelling; team players who relish the challenge of helping us take our marketing efforts to the next level. The right candidate will have strong communication skills; work well independently; and be reliable, efficient and self-motivated. As a MTM intern, you’ll build a portfolio of work and receive support in identifying and tackling your professional development goals.
The marketing intern will contribute to MTM overall communication efforts to build the MTM brand and community. Strong writing skills are required. Experience managing or contributing to professional social media channels is preferred. Availability on occasional evenings and weekends is a plus.
The intern will contribute to the following areas, depending on aptitude, interest and need: content creation, social media marketing, club/org outreach, and event marketing.
- Content Creation: Interviews and develops media (including video) about current students, alumni, staff, faculty, and industry partners and their respective projects
- Social Media Marketing: Helps develop and execute our marketing and social media strategies. Manages and grows our current marketing channels: Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Medium. Uses social media analytics to hone campaigns for efficacy; set up metrics for each channel, monitor, and keep team latest social media trends and innovations
- Club/Org Outreach: Finds creative ways to engage our audience—spark conversations and develop relationships with campus and industry partners. Manages on-campus club relationships with clubs and organizations
- Event Marketing: Assists at MTM events as needed (e.g., Eventbrite, social media posting, photo/video, and registration)
- Berkeley undergraduate student, available throughout academic year (August-May)
- Independent worker with ability to manage multiple projects
- Exceptional command of English: efficient and effective writing and editing abilities
- Strong analytical ability: Delves into analytics to improve processes; willingness to learn and research solutions independently and meet deadlines
- Excellent self-starter, with strong task management and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills & ability to appropriately represent MTM when reaching out to alumni or industry partners
- Ability to ask specific questions to breakdown scientific research into content the average person might understand
- Exceptional research, writing and editing skills, and meticulous attention to detail
- Professional experience managing social media accounts
- Experience in Google Analytics
- Experience in WordPress or other web CMS
- Experience with email strategy or content management system platforms
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite: Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop
- Professional experience with social media accounts
- Experience and comfort with conducting interviews
- Video editing a plus
Start date: Fall 2023 (preferably early August)
Schedule: 10 hours per week, available throughout academic year (August-May)
Compensation: Student Assistant III. Between $18 – $20 per hour depending on experience. Work study is a plus, but not required.